Thursday, July 22, 2010

God's Wonders

Joel 2:30 NAS
And I will display wonders in the sky and on the earth. Blood, fire, and columns of smoke.

Last week I accompanied my husband to Tampa so he could attend a conference. I thought I would take some time off, look around, or do a little writing. We boarded the plane around noon and we were off. It was beautiful flying weather. Like a child I had a window seat. Our captain came on the speaker and said he was taking the shortest route, over the gulf. We may get to see the oil spill.

I watched the tiny specks dotting the ocean below us and scanned the horizon to see if I could make out anything. All I could see was water, very little shore line. It was a four hour flight and about two and half hours into it the captain announced to the left of the aircraft was the oil rig with flames lifting to the sky. There was about ten or more ships anchored around the rig helping to vacuum the oil before it had a chance to drift closer to shore.

I sat back and looked out over the wing and saw clouds, big billowy clouds, like they wanted to gather up steam and become storm clouds. As a child I would lay on the ground and point out dogs, cats, old men, and even giant mushrooms in the each cloud. Then watch as they exploded and drifted into different shapes.

A tune started running through my mind 'Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly'. I doubt bluebirds were flying this high but I did see large birds below us a few times. Mesmerized by the clouds and sky I looked overhead and the sky gave way to dark blue and continued into blackness. The blackness of outer space.

I looked below at the water then raised my gaze to the horizon where the same color meets each other. How does the pilot know we are not flying upside down? How do our astronauts know which way is up or which way is down when they are so far out in space?

Our God is an amazing God. He knew what he was doing when He made the earth, sun, stars, and the moon. He was even more amazing when he created man and woman. How fine tuned and intricate we are.

Gracious Father You are truly an awesome God. I cannot fathom how You fine tuned the most minute detail of the universe and man. Thank you Lord for my wonderful life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment