Thursday, July 8, 2010

Darkness

Psalms 107:14 NAS
He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and broke their bands apart.

A few days ago I was talking to a friend. She was telling me about a friend of hers that was going through a period of darkness in her life. He husband had been in Iraq and upon his return she said he had changed. They started to have martial problems and separated.

My grandson also was in Iraq. He was only nineteen when he was sent over there. Upon his return his marriage fell apart and he found himself divorced. He was living in deep darkness.

We cannot fathom what our men are going though, what they see, or how they feel during the throes of war. The suffering, turmoil, and stress of everyday dodging bullets, bombs, or watching their comrade fall before their eyes. Like my husband says, "I'm a fixer. If I can't fix it I get frustrated."

War is something that can't be fixed over night. There are so many hindrances to overcome. This can put some people into deep despair leading into an even deeper darkness. They feel there is no way out. Some have even taken their lives because they'd fallen so far into a dark hole that they didn't know how to get out.

This darkness I'm talking about is not only for our men at war, but for anyone going through a divorce, lost a loved one, or even been in an accident. I felt the darkness while going through a divorce, but was renewed through God's love for me.

In my darkest hour I reached for my Bible and started reading. His words comforted me, and I felt restored. Now, whenever I feel down and not able to fix a situation, my Bible is opened to where God is leading.

Father God I pray for everyone that is going through a rough period in their life, a period that has over shadowed their lives and flung them in darkness. May Your Word lift them up into the light. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment