Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cattle

Psalm 50:10 NAS
For every beast of the forest is Mine, the cattle on a thousand hills.

Eighteen years ago I had the opportunity to see Lou Lou Roman in concert at a church in town. Maybe you don't know who Lou Lou Roman is but she graced the stage on the old television program Hee Haw. Once in awhile she was asked to sing gospel music. Her full, rich, voice caressed each word when she praised God.

After giving her testimony she sang a song she wrote. I was so impressed with the words I had to buy the cassette and I played it over and over again until I was able to write all the words down. I keep it in my address book and read it from time to time to remind me that all my worldly treasures are only mine for a little while, they belong to my Heavenly Father. He loves me so much He gives these treasures to me to enjoy in my earthly life.

She talks about praying, thank you for Your family, mercy and love, but on to important things. then she continues asking, give me this and give me that. Give me wealth, keep me healthy, I need the things I think I've missed.

We forget that all we have belongs to God. From the cattle on a thousand hills to the tiny hummingbird I see perched on the feeder outside my window. We can build a fortune here on earth but in the end we cannot take it with us when we pass on. It is God's gift to us but what we do with it is our responsibility. To share God's gift with others should be our aspiration.

Heavenly Father I pray I never take advantage of all You do for me. Just to wake up each day and breathe the air, to hear the birds sing, or see the trees. Thank You Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment