Monday, July 5, 2010

Comfort

II Corinthians 7:4 NAS
Great is my confidence in you, great is my boasting on your behalf; I am filled with comfort, I am overflowing with joy in all our affliction.

Seven years ago my little brother passed away. He fought the good fight until the colon cancer became too much and over took his weakened body. I sat at his side for a week before he died. His family and I celebrated his life while I was there with them. We set off fireworks to celebrate the 4th of July, fixed his favorite meals, and talked about old times.

I arrived home on Monday and the Lord took him home on Tuesday. I am comforted because I know I will see him again.

During the time of my brother's cancer my sister-in-law developed breast cancer. They both went through chemo and radiation together. She laid him to rest and just one year later her cancer returned. Again she went through the regime of radiation and chemo. Her hair fell out but grew back in very curly, but gray. We joked about her curly hair and she turned gray before I did. You see I'm ten years older than my brother and his wife.

In the past month my sister-in-law found out that she now has pancreatic cancer. She has refused treatment saying it's more than she can bear. She says she is ready. To watch their mother suffer, much like their father, is very hard on the children she leaves behind. Their love for Christ is sustaining them now like it did six years ago.

I tell you this story because it is not unique. I've seen families in my own church attending services just days after the loss of their loved ones. Their love for Christ sustains them. I know it's hard after loosing a loved one, and it's one day at a time, but each day with Jesus makes it easier. And the reassurance of seeing their loved one again gives them strength to go on. Our God comforts us in our times of loss and dispair. Praise God.

Gracious Father I pray that you comfort the family during their time of loss. Keep them in Your gentle hands and guide them each day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment