Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Boopma

Proverbs: 17:6 NAS
Grandchildren are the crown of old men. And the glory of sons is their fathers.

We were visiting my husband's aunt Eleanor in Missouri after her husbands death. I could sit for hours and listen to her Irish brogue as she told stories of their life together. It was late when she said. "I've got to tell you the story on how George became known as 'Boompa'."

When their daughter found out she was pregnant she announced to her mother. "I want Dad's grandchildren to call him Boompa. Eleanor said she fumbeled for words. Who ever heard of a grandfather being called Boompa? That's silly she told her daughter.

Nevertheless when their first grandchild was old enough he began calling George Boompa. As the years rolled on each grandchild after that called him Boompa too.

When the grandson graduated from high school he walked out on stage, received his diploma, then turned around with his diploma held over his head, and yelled. "For you Boompa."

There were giggles throughout the auditorium but when Eleanor looked at George's face he was smiling from ear to ear. She said. "I guess that wasn't such a bad name for him after all."

Our Heavenly Father loves us just as much or more than we love our children and grandchildren. He loves it when we call Him Abba, Jehovah, El Shaddai, El Elyon, Elohim, El Olam, Johovah-nissi, Jehoval-jireh, Jehovah-rapha, Jehovah-raah, Yahweh, or Adonai. These names are endearing to His ears.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father I thank You for all You do in my life, the blessings You bestow upon me and my loved ones. I bow down before You. Thank you El Elyon. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment