Thursday, June 10, 2010

Greed

Luke 12:15 NAS
And He said to them, "Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions."

You've heard the old phrase "You can't take it with you when you die." How often do we see things in the store, television, or in a book and we think I've got to have that? I'm as guilty as the next person and sometimes I forget I bought it and I go buy it again. I think one or two of us can say we've done that too.

I struggle thinking I would like to have a new handbag but when I look in my closet I have probably ten or more handbags already, and I can't bear to part with any one of them. So why do I need to buy another one? Is it just to spend the money?

Greed is like lust. You can lust after money, clothing, purses, cars, and even food. You want more and more. There is never enough. But then we aren't satisfied. It's like a child playing with other children then pulling his toys all to himself and not wanting to share with anyone. Hording eveything for himself. The other children walk away from him and he is left with his toys. Nothing else. No friends. Nothing.

This is not what God intended for us. We are to treat others like we ourselves would like to be treated. If I have two I need to give to someone that does not have any. When my time comes to leave this earth I cannot take anything with me. I was born with nothing and I will leave with nothing. I will take my good name, how I treated others, and nothing else. Did others see Christ through me?

Gracious Heavenly Father I pray others will see You through how I live my life. I pray that You give me courage to ask myself if I really need that other item I think I just have to have. I give You all the praise and glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment