Tuesday, October 19, 2010

INDEPENDENCE

I Corinthians 11:11 NAS
However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.

Quiet a few years ago I was talking to my brother about our children. He began telling me how independent his daughter was. How she wanted to do things on her own, asking for no help at all. He ended by saying. "She reminds me so much of you. You always struck out on your own, doing things for yourself, and never asking for help."

At first I was upset that he said I was independent. I'd never thought of myself being like that, but as the years past I was brought back to his words again and again. As a single parent I felt like I had no one to turn to for help so I did things for myself. I learned to fix my car, to be a plumber when the sinks needed repairing, and anything else that had to be repaired around the house. Taking my children camping and fishing was the highlight of their adolescent years. We had our ups and downs but we all survived it.

It was a number of years before I met and married the love of my life. God does say have patience. After marrying I've relenquished some of my independence. I've looked to my husband for his guidance, but most of all I've learned to depend on God, not myself. Now this was not an easy process, but through prayer, and my quiet time of reading His word, I've been able to let go of my stubborness and fix all attitude.

Psalm 119:45 says "And I will walk at liberty, for I seek Thy precepts. This means that I can walk freely with my Lord but He has also given me the freedom to choose Him or walk the path of worldly ways. I choose my Lord and Savior. I have found peace and comfort.

Gracious Heavenly Father thank you for the freedom to choose You over the ways of the world. I pray I never walk without You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment