Monday, November 22, 2010

STARS AND THE HEAVENS

Psalm 147:4 NAS
He counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them.

On any given night you can step outside,look to the sky, and see the stars shining brightly. That is, if there aren't any clouds. In junior high I had Astronomy, a chance to study the stars and planets. I'd sit outside with my friends and we'd see if we could pick out the Big Dipper, the North Star, Cassiopeia, Pegasus, and Andromeda. I could go on and name all of them but you know what I'm talking about.

Lovers sit and stare at the stars making wishes. Little children sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Some people let the stars guide their lives as they read their horoscopes daily.

The Bible talks about stars. Revelation 22:16 says "I", Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things 'for the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, the bright morning star." Jesus Christ our Savior is the Bright Morning Star.

Jude 13 tells us "Wild waves of the sea, casting up their own shame like foam, wandering stars, for whom the black darkness has been reserved forever. Jude 5-16 gives us insight into false teachers. He also tells his readers to keep yourself in the love of God.

The Twelve Stars represent the twelve tribes of Israel. Revelation 12:1 "And a great sign appeared in heaven; a woman clothes with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. Israel, God's chosen people.

The book of Revelation also talks about the number seven. The seven stars, seven lamp stands, seven angels who had seven plagues, and the seven Spirits of God. All warnings from God telling us of the end times. Still giving us time to repent, confess our sins, and accept Christ as our Savior.

After studing the book of Revelation I have a new insight when I look up into the heavens at night. Each star has a new meaning.

Dear Father thank you for Your word and the beautiful stars that shine each night. Your way of telling me "I love you. Here is another gift for you" Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment