Monday, April 9, 2012

Growing Old Shouldn't Hurt

Jeremiah 30:17 NAS
For I will restore you to health and I will heal you of your wounds declares the Lord.

I awoke early this morning ready to get all the things done that I had to do, without my two small granddaughters I take care of. But before I could put my feet on the floor my stomach gave a lurch and I felt a pounding in my head. No, I cried, not today, I have so much to do. I laid my head back down and closed my eyes.

About an hour later I opened one eye and looked at the clock. Seven, I have to get up and let the dogs out and feed them. Every joint in my body resisted as I made my way into the kitchen. My head pounded and my stomach jumped up and down reminding me it could let loose at any time. I called my girl friend and told them I wouldn't make it for breakfast this morning. I let the dogs out, gave them their dish of food, and headed for the couch with my blanket.

By ten I told myself no matter how bad you feel you need to get up and do your running around with out children. I headed to the pharmacy to refill my prescriptions. Every step from the car to the door was excruicating. My knees didn't want to co-operate and my head pounded each time I set my foot down. By this time I was beginning to think where did this come from?

I've always prided myself with being able to take care of everyone else. I take my vitamins each morning along with my prescribed medications. My turn table is full of flaxseed oil, ginko bilboa, B-12, vitamin C, and anything else you can think of to keep me healthy. Why even Jack LaLane took a hand full of vitamins every day and look how long he lived.

After making two trips to the pharmacy, because of a mix up at the doctor's office, I finally arrived home. Tired, my stomach was feeling much better, but the knees were reminding me I was not getting any younger. It brought to mind the saying. "Getting old is not for sissies."

Before dinner I went in to check my e-mail and noticed my Bible laying under some of the things I was working on. I'm not very tidy when I'm working on a project. Things get stacked on top of each other, but it made me stop and think of how my body was going to feel when I'm taken home to live with my Savior for eternity. Praise God there will be no more pain. I'm not a runner but I'll bet I'll be able to run. Maybe even skip like I did as a child. God gave me and you that promise when He said He will restore our health.

Dear Father in Heaven thank you for always keeping your promises. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment